Trails of History and Wine: Ancient Akrotiri and Santorini Wineries Tour
- Duration: 6 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Santorini, Cyclades
- Product code: PBK7PG
Uncover the fascinating history of Santorini on a guided tour of the Akrotiri excavations, a prehistoric town that has been frozen in time by ash that fell during the Minoan volcanic eruption 3,600 years ago. Some speculate that this may be the origin of "Atlantis", a mythical city described in the scripts of the Greek philosopher "Plato" and has been lost in time since.
Ruins, frescoes and impressive ceramic artifacts are just a few of the finds that add even more intrigue to the site as you wander around.
Continue your discovery in the wine country, visit 3 traditional island wineries and enjoy cellar tours to see how the winemaking process unfolds, from grape to glass.
Learn about Santorini’s unique viticulture traditions at the unforgiving island conditions & taste a selection of 12 Santorini wine styles such as Assyrtiko, Nykteri and the sublimely sweet Vinsanto wine.
- 6-hour in-depth history and wine tour led by a Greek archaeologist and an expertise sommelier.
- Discover the Ancient Greek marvel of Akrotiri, lost for centuries underneath Santorini's volcanic ash.
- Hear the fascinating history of Akrotiri by a professional guide, uncovering the links between Plato's "Atlantis" and the ash-covered prehistoric town of Akrotiri.
- Wine tour of 3 traditional wineries dotted around the picturesque countryside.
- Try up to 12 varietals of Santorini wine such as Assyrtiko, Nykteri and Vinsanto.
- Enjoy samples of local cheese and olives to eat alongside wine-tastings.
- Admire the charming landscape filled with scenic villages and rolling hills.
- Small groups with a maximum of 8 ensure personalized attention & intimate experience.
· Akrotiri Excavations(1-Hour Guided Tour)
· Boutari winery
· Gavalas traditional winery
· Estate Argyros or Artemis Karamolegos Winery
- Pickup & drop-off at your Santorini Hotel & Airbnb's (nearby meeting point will be set).
- English speaking, archaeologist and wine expert guide.
- Guided tour of the Akrotiri excavations and three Santorini wineries.
- Wine tasting of 12 different samples of wine.
- Assortment plate with local cheeses alongside wine-tastings.
- Mini wine-tasting tutorial of Greek wines.
- All taxes.
- Admissions and tasting fees at the excavations & the wineries.
The wines served during the tour are mainly whites and dessert wines, as these are the kind of wines the island of Santorini produces.
This is a gentle note for guests that only drink red wine.
This is a small group(shared) tour, that can accommodate up to 8 people.
Operated as private the tour can accommodate larger groups, upon request..
Duration 6 hours approx. Exact duration may vary.
Departs Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday at 09:00 am approx. (start time may vary depending pickup location).
Available from April 15th to November 10th, every year.