Trails of History and Wine: Ancient Akrotiri and Santorini Wineries Tour
- Duration: 6 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Santorini, Cyclades
- Product code: PBK7PG
Uncover the fascinating history of Santorini on a guided tour of the Akrotiri excavations, a prehistoric town that has been frozen in time by ash that fell during the Minoan volcanic eruption 3,600 years ago.
Some speculate that this may be the origin of "Atlantis", a mythical city described in the scripts of the Greek philosopher "Plato" and has been lost in time since.
Ruins, frescoes, and impressive ceramic artifacts are just a few of the finds that add even more intrigue to the site as you wander around.
Continue your wine discovery in the island's countryside visiting 3 traditional Santorini wineries and enjoy cellar tours to see how the wine-making process unfolds, from grape to glass.
Learn about Santorini’s unique viticulture traditions at the unforgiving island conditions & taste a selection of 12 Santorini wine styles such as Assyrtiko, Nykteri, and the sublimely sweet Vinsanto wine.
At the final winery visit enjoy a 2-course lunch of elegant local cuisine paired with excellent wine the estate locally produces.
- 6-hour in-depth history and wine tour led by a Greek archaeologist and an expertise sommelier.
- Discover the fabled city of Akrotiri, lost for centuries underneath Santorini's volcanic ash.
- Hear the fascinating history of Akrotiri by a professional guide, uncovering the links between Plato's "Atlantis" and the ash-covered prehistoric town of Akrotiri.
- Visit three acclaimed wineries at the picturesque Santorini’s countryside
- Try up to 12 varietals of Santorini wine such as Assyrtiko, Nykteri, and Vinsanto.
- Enjoy platters of local cheese and a 2-course local lunch alongside wine-tastings.
- Admire the charming landscape filled with scenic villages and rolling hills.
· Akrotiri Excavations(1-Hour Guided Tour)
· Boutari winery
· Venetsanos winery or Hatzidakis Winery or Gavalas Winery
· Artemis Karamolegos Winery or Avantis Cellars (Lunch)
- Hotel / Airbnb pickup and drop-off
- Transportation by Mercedes-Benz air-conditioned mini-van
- Guided tour of Akrotiri by a professional guide
- Visits at three Santorini wineries all acclaimed by international experts
- 12 different wine-tastings from Santorini and Greece
- 2-Course lunch at the final winery stop
- English-speaking wine expert guide / Sommelier
- Mini wine-tasting tutorial of Greek wines
- Local cheese and Greek tapas to eat alongside wine-tastings at each of the wineries
- Admission tickets at Akrotiri site and the wineries
- All taxes and tasting fees
The wines served during the tour are mainly whites and dessert wines, as these are the kind of wines the island of Santorini produces.
This is a gentle note for guests that only drink red wine.
Duration 6 hours approx. Exact duration may vary.
Available from April to October.
Parts of Santorini are built on a slope, in case your hotel /Airbnb is inaccessible by car due to landscape, pedestrianized areas or any other restrictions, your pickup will be set a nearby meeting point location within walking distance from your accommodation that will be advised after your booking.